Peter had his cast removed this morning. It was hard at first, he couldn't look at it and we had to keep it covered with his blanket or he would start crying. It was hard for us to see too. I guess I thought it would be smooth and rounded and the stitches gone and the healing complete, but it is what they wanted it to look like after three weeks. It still has quite a bit of healing to do and they said it will continue to heal over the next 1-2 years as the fingers reshape themselves.
After coaxing him in to the tub to get it cleaned up, I can say that it looks better than when we first saw it as it was rather messy. He's walking around without his blanket over it too, so he is progressing quickly with adjusting to how it looks. It will take a few weeks yet for the healing to complete and the scabs to fall off and stitches to dissolve. I'm sure over the next week we will get used to touching things with it again too and eventually using that hand.
Praise God for kids though, they are entertaining their little brother, letting him play with their toys and feeding him their candy canes.
Allison came to me and said, "Mama, I wish it would have happened to me instead of Peter so he wouldn't have had all that pain. I don't want his hand to be different than ours. I'd give up all my candy canes, tv and computer time, and toys for a whole week if it just didn't have to happen to anyone in our family or the world. " Me too, Allison, me too.
No comments:
Post a Comment